2 Simple Moves to Strengthen Your Muscles
Two heads are better than one, but only when they’re working together. When it comes to strengthening your muscles, these two perfectly paired exercises work together to slide seamlessly into your schedule.
Burpees and squats are a perfect pair, like so many complementary moves, one leads right into the other. Squats are effective for building a stronger lower body, while also improving your core, and burpees strengthen your arms and abdominals. The result is an equipment-free, do-anywhere routine that includes a solid cardio kick.
The easy 3-step squat method:
- Place feet shoulder-width apart.
- Raise your arms in front of you to shoulder height.
- Bend your knees until your thighs are parallel with the floor. Keep your abs tight and your back straight. Hold here for a few seconds.
Here’s where the two moves come together. Instead of returning to a standing position, amp it up and turn that squat into a simple two-piece routine by moving right into a burpee.
The easy 3-step burpee method:
- Put your hands on the floor slightly wider than shoulder-width and pop your legs back into the starting point for a push-up.
- Hold this plank position for a few seconds — add a push-up here if you want to kick things up a notch — then pull your legs forward between your hands. Slowly rise back into a squat with your arms in front of you at shoulder height.
- Straighten up into a standing position, and repeat. To boost the cardio benefits of this routine, you can jump into the air as you stand up.
- Week 1) 2 sets – 5 squats, 5 burpees
- Week 2) 3 sets – 5 squats, 5 burpees
- Week 3) 3 sets – 7 squats, 7 burpees
- Week 4) 3 sets – 10 squats, 10 burpees
- Week 5) 3 sets – 12 squats, 12 burpees
Try this routine twice a week, a few days apart, and you’ll see your strength increase in all the muscles being activated through these two powerful exercises.