Chef Ned Bell’s Cheddar Chickpea Slaw
For us guys, the word coleslaw doesn’t usually spark much excitement – but trust us, this recipe from Chef Ned Bell proves it can really kick-ass! The following dish is the perfect sidekick to burgers, ribs, and more, combining crumbled aged cheddar and a whole bunch of goodness. It’s easy, quick, and you can whip it up in bulk to pack with your lunch throughout the week.
You’re probably wondering why we’ve recommended something that sounds too good to be healthy – but this cheddar chickpea slaw is loaded with nutritious ingredients, so it’s sure to hit the spot!
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- 4 cups canned chickpeas
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 cups sliced apples
- 1 cup thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced endive (optional)
- 1 cup crushed hazelnuts
- 2 cups shredded aged cheddar cheese
Optional: Add in a cup of green peas and edamame.
What to do:
- Rinse and slice green cabbage, endives and apples into ¼ inch thin pieces. Shred your aged cheddar cheese. Set these ingredients aside for combining at the end.
- Remove chickpeas from cans, and rinse using a strainer.
- With a spoonful of coconut oil, add chickpeas and crushed hazelnuts to a stove top pan, on medium-high heat. Stir until chickpeas are warm and hazelnuts are toasted.
- Place warm chickpeas and hazelnuts in a large bowl. Add oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Stir in fruit, cabbage, endive, and cheese; toss to coat.
This dish is best served warm and is also a fantastic recipe made ahead of time and chilled for brunch, lunch, or a simple snack on the go!