Unlike your car, the extra mileage you put on your walking shoes can make your body run much, much better.
All you need to do to be a little healthier is walk a bit more. Here’s how:
Five easy ways to get more steps in
- Get off the bus one stop before where you work or live, and then walk.
- Park farther away from your workplace, then walk there. You may even find a cheaper lot!
- Walk the kids to school or to the bus stop.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Walk to a co-worker’s desk instead of calling or emailing.
Walking is so natural and effortless that it’s easy to combine it with other pleasurable pursuits. Slap on some headphones and listen to your favourite tunes while you stroll. Or take a route through a pretty park. Or, do both!
Adam Bisby is a Toronto-based freelance journalist and father of two. His award-winning stories have appeared in The Globe and Mail, Toronto Star and National Post newspapers, in magazines like Explore, Reader’s Digest, International Traveller and Canadian Family, and on websites including MSN, MSN Canada, and DontChangeMuch.ca. Visit Adam’s website for more details on his award winning work.