Game Day Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe
Sit back, relax and chill out with this spin on a game day classic feast. Oven-hot and hearty, with just a few simple ingredients, makes this recipe easy to make and easy on your wallet.
This is also a great way to switch up your bowl of chili. The savoury-sweet flavour of chili and sweet potato is plain lip-smacking, stick to your bones good.
We suggest ground turkey as a lean, high quality protein, and sweet potato not just for flavour, but to refuel after training because the protein-carb combination of the two packs a mean muscle-building punch!
Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 40-50 mins Serves: 4
What you need
- 4 individual-sized sweet potatoes
- 1lbs ground turkey
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 small can (389mL) low sodium black beans
- 1/3 cup green onions
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet, and bake at 400F for 40-50 mins.
- Chop tomatoes into dice-sized pieces, and chop green onions. Drain beans with a strainer and rinse with cold water.
- Add cooking oil and ground meat to a pan on medium-heat. Break meat apart in the pan with a spatula and add seasonings.
- Once turkey is almost cooked, add the tomatoes, green onions and black beans. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook another 5-8 mins.
- To check if sweet potatoes are done, remove from the oven and if it’s easy to stab through the middle with a knife, you’re ready to eat. Slice each in half lengthwise and scoop out a bit from the top to make a hole for the chili.
- Top each half of sweet potato with chili and enjoy!