With cooler weather fast approaching, wouldn’t it be nice to take a cruise around the Mediterranean? If that’s not on your agenda anytime soon, at least you can experience a taste of it with a salad that’s native to the region. Not only is it delicious, it’s really good for you too!
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups arugula (Also known as salad rocket. It’s a leafy green herb that’s part of the mustard family.)
- One 15 ounce (425 grams) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (Toasting releases and intensifies the rich flavour. It’s easy to do: Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 375°F, until golden brown, for about 5 minutes.)
- Cheese: 10 small Bocconcini balls or Mozzarella balls, halved
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 10 black pitted olives, sliced
- Ground pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl or jug, whisk together the dried oregano, ground pepper, olive oil, and red wine vinegar.
- In a large salad bowl, combine arugula, cherry tomatoes, chick peas, cheese, and red onion.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.
- Serve topped with pine nuts.
Serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main course. Kalh Oreksh! (That’s Greek for bon appetit. Now you know!)
Did you enjoy this article? Let us know in the comments.