What is the Canadian Men’s Health Foundation?
The Canadian Men’s Health Foundation (CMHF) is a national charity founded by order of Canada recipient Dr. Larry Goldenberg. Our mission is to inspire men to live healthy lives.
What does CMHF do?
The CMHF is triggering a new social awareness of the importance of men’s health, providing tools and resources to motivate men to lead healthier lives and collaborating with health care stakeholders to reach out to men through their programs.
The CMHF activities include:
- National awareness campaign and website – DontChangeMuch.ca
- Tips tools and resources for men’s health including ‘YouCheck’ the first all-encompassing men’s health risk assessment tool.
- National Men’s Health Week June 15-21
- On- going research on best practices to engage men in healthy lifestyles
- Creating awareness within Government and elected representatives including the formation of a non partisan Federal men’s health caucus
- ‘Connecting the dots’ within the Canadian landscape of men’s health
- Collaborating and sharing our research with other healthcare stakeholders
What’s “Don’t Change Much” about?
We’re about inspiring men to change… but in small steps. We want to get the word out about how small lifestyle changes can have a big impact.
How can I improve my health?
There are tons of small ways to get started. Get some tips.
Who, what, when, where, how was CMHF founded?
It’s a national, non-profit organization. Dr. Larry Goldenberg, an Order of Canada recipient, formed CMHF in 2013.
What’s the focus?
We’re about nutrition, activity, sleep, mental health, and moderation of habits like smoking & drinking.
What are the biggest risk factors for men?
In a word: lifestyle. Only 30% of Canadian men’s chronic health conditions are genetic — 70% are caused by lifestyle. And because of these bad habits, Canadian men are needlessly unhealthy. For more detailed FAQ’s visit MensHealthFoundation.ca.
Aren’t Canadian men healthy already?
- The statistics around men’s health in Canada are alarming – overall Canadian men are living in poor health
- 70% of Canadian men’s chronic health conditions are caused by lifestyle – 30% is genetics
- Canadian men are 57% more likely to die from diabetes than women
- Canadian men are 79% more likely to die from heart disease than women
- 67% of Canadian men are overweight or obese
- Canadian men are 40% more likely to die from cancer than women
- Canadian men are four times more likely to commit suicide than women
- Canadian men spend on average ten 10 years of their lives in poor health often related to lifestyle
Are you a government organization?
No. The Canadian Men’s Health Foundation (CMHF) is a national, non-profit organization founded by Order of Canada recipient Dr. Larry Goldenberg in 2013.
How are you funded?
- The Province of British Columbia, corporate partners and private donors have generously supported CMHF.
- We wish to thank all those organizations and individuals who recognized the importance of this effort early on, including the Province of British Columbia.
Who are you trying to reach?
- CMHF has launched a campaign and developed healthy lifestyle messages to encourage all men to live healthier lives – healthier men make for healthier families and communities.
- Men who may feel they have lacked the freedom, permission or encouragement to be aware of or care for their health.
If I have a serious health issue how can I get help?
- If you are having a serious health issue or want any further information please contact a Doctor.
- For additional resources and information on men’s health click here.
How you can contribute?
As a non-profit, we’re always grateful for any contributions to help us spread our message and inspire men to live healthier. Currently donations can be made in person, by mail or by phone. Please contact us at email@example.com or at 604-737-2990 to find out more.
Are you a company interested in supporting our cause? Please contact Jordan Thorsteinson at 604-813-3165 or firstname.lastname@example.org.