Breakfast been lacking lately? Getting mid-morning snack cravings? Kick up your breakfast with this BAM! Burrito and heat up the kitchen Emeril – Style.
- 1 tomato
- Handful of chopped onion
- 1 pepper (any type, even add a jalapeno)
- Eggs, 2
- Whole wheat tortilla
- Cheese (optional)
- Chop the veggies and garlic to small pieces and toss in a bowl. BAM! a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat up a frying pan with some olive oil.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl and just beat it. Pour the eggs into the frying pan and cook.
- Lay the tortilla on a plate and place the eggs on ¾ of the tortilla. Add a handful of cheese and top with your veg.
- Fold up the bottom, then the sides to roll into a burrito and chow down.
Play around with different flavours or add last night’s leftovers and have yourself a BAM! worthy breakfast.
Nachos and beer with the buddies, its tradition, right? Melted cheese, crispy chips, spicy meat, mmmmmm… OK, we won’t lecture about the evils of tons of cheese, so here’s a nacho recipe that even your wife will approve of.
- 1 bag whole grain tortilla or sweet potato chips
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey
- Handful of sharp cheddar (strong cheese means using less for the same taste )
- Tomato, diced
- A handful of red onions, chopped
- Olives and/ or pickled jalapeños
- Handful of lettuce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Using a small drop of vegetable oil in the pan, sauté the lean ground turkey with your favourite spices. We suggest chilli powder, oregano, garlic powder and cumin. Don’t be afraid of over-spicing, it will make the nachos more flavourful!
- Arrange chips on baking sheet and sprinkle generously with the veggies (except the lettuce), olives and pickled jalapeños.
- Top with the cooked turkey. Finish by sprinkling with sharp cheddar.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the chips are browning.
- Remove from the oven and add your lettuce
Serve with fresh salsa and guacamole. Chow down!
Joining a gym is a commitment. Okay, so it may not exactly be puttin’ a ring on it, but we thought you could use a little nudge in the right direction. Here are some Q’s to ask yourself before taking the plunge.
Pro Tip: Pretty much all gyms offer a free orientation nowadays, if you’re not sure if yours does make sure to bring it up to the sales rep.
You’re going to want to make sure that your gym is on route to either your work or home. Don’t add another excuse to your gym avoidance list.
Workouts you enjoy
Make sure your new potential gym has equipment that you enjoy. Big into cycling? Make sure they have a good number of stationary bikes. Love working out with kettlebells? Check out their kettlebell inventory.
Workout equipment starting to look like it’s getting it’s own workout? Talk to your sales rep about how frequently they update their equipment.
Stop by on a busy day to see how long you may have to wait for certain machines.
Hours / locations
There is nothing worse than finding your perfect gym only to realise that they have not-so perfect hours. Most gyms do a week-long trial so do a couple of test runs and make sure that you have the time to go no matter what comes up (because something will always come up).
Inspect the change room
You can ask your wives or girlfriends about this one (they are likely trained in the art of the bathroom checkout). Think about this: if the change rooms aren’t fresh and clean imagine what the equipment is like.
Gyms are a little like people – they each attract a gathering of people with similar personalities. You can find everything from yuppie gyms to hard-core gyms to corporate-style gyms. Make sure that yours speaks to you.
Getting your resolution right will not only encourage (oh God, No!) healthy habits in life but when achieved they can also instil a large amount of pride. A certain amount of pride can do wonders for a man’s mental health. So cliché or not, keep your resolutions alive with these tips.
You know what this resolution has in common with your mother-in-law?
Everything – because she made the same one… for the past 5 years.
How does knowing that make you feel? No need to answer, that’s a rhetorical question because no man wants to be compared to their mother-in-law.
Here’s how to do it right
Think back to the days when you traded hockey cards – always trying to rid yourself of the weakest link, while trying all sorts of shenanigans to strengthen your team with the limited edition players. Well losing weight is kind of like that.
It’s a methodical process of filling up your roster with good eating habits while leaving the bad ones to some other poor sucker.
Start with small goals like trading favours for home-cooked meals three nights a week. Or if you’re working the man-chef angle, check out our recipe section for tongue tingling bites like the 3-Step Taco Salad Toss or the Healthy Nachos. Even those who are prone to toaster fires can make these simple recipes.
Check back later this week for: Top 5 Most Cliche Resolutions for 2015: Get Out of Debt , Get Organized
[module_newsletter_shortcode class=”twocols orange singleheader” datasrc=”https://dontchangemuch.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/lightbox-2-blue.jpg” dataalt=”legs” ]Is your 2015 goal to lose weight?