How to Sleep Like A King in Three Easy Steps
They say that “a man’s home is his castle,” which may explain why some guys have installed golf simulators and stadium seating in their kick-ass man caves. We all want to be kings of our castles, but do you sleep like royalty?
The three biggest benefits of proper rest are royally amazing:
- Healthy mind: During sleep your brain strengthens memories and skills learned while you were awake in a process called consolidation. Solid shut-eye has also been linked to improved self-control and focus,as well as avoiding depression. More sleep, more effortless brain-boosting!
- Healthy body: Research has shown that well-rested guys have less body fat than those who are sleep deprived. Plus, getting extra sleep keeps your appetite in check. To recap: you get smarter and fitter by sleeping. How easy is that!?
- Longer life: A lack of sleep can prevent your body from healing itself, which in turn has been linked to heart disease, stroke, diabetes, arthritis, and premature aging. Sleep has also been shown to reduce stress, which can help lower your blood pressure.
Set your sleep ritual:
Taking a few simple steps before bed will help ensure you get enough shut-eye:
- Unplug: Half an hour of technology-free time before bed will help your mind and body transition smoothly into sleep mode. Avoiding blue light and installing apps that change the screen to provide orange light are also useful.
- Unwind: A consistent daily schedule, ending in relaxation, promotes good sleep. Read a book, listen to music, get frisky with your significant other, and then do your best to go to bed at about the same time every night.
- Cool it: To help you sleep soundly your bedroom should be the coolest room in your house. Set the thermostat somewhere between 16°C and 19°C. Bonus: your utility bills will go down!